Thursday, August 27, 2009

Checking On Papa


Papa was a very small sheltie/chow mix. We enjoyed the pleasure of her company from December 31, 2008 - May 26, 2009. When Papa arrived I didn't expect her to live two weeks. She was 14 years old, her back legs didn't work right, she had trouble breathing (I was sure she was heartworm infested), could barely hear and didn't see well. Both of her eyes were fogged over and her long ungroomed coat was tangled in places. This ole' gal had had a hard life. She had been returned by another rescue because she nipped when they tried to pet her. I thought Papa was nippy because it was painful to her to be pet. Papa did test HW positive but she was only lightly positive and at 14 years old - we weren't about to put her through conventional treatment. Papa didn't have many teeth so she enjoyed a specially prepared bowl of wet kibble every night. Dexter loved having Papa as a neighbor because he always got the last scoop of the wet food. Papa slept most of the day everyday. I figured about 22 hours everyday was devoted to peaceful slumber and on many occassions I thought she was dead. Papa loved her life with us. She really loved clean fresh linens. She had a bladder control problem and would wet herself as she slept so we would change out her pad and blankie every time she ventured out of her house. Papa was always front row center at chow time. The ole' gal didn't pay attention to anything in the yard until it was dinner time. Papa was no problem at all and we enjoyed everyday that we had the pleasure of sharing with her. Papa was always my last check of the night. Every night when we made our final round, we would find Papa fast asleep in her little house with a full belly and clean linens. I can always tell how a dog has been cared for when they come stay with us. The ones that have had it hard settle right in. Some have never had fresh water, daily food and sturdy shelter. Papa was one of those. She settled right in and got a pep in her step.I know in my heart that she absolutely loved her stay with us. On May 24th, Papa stumbled and let out a yelp. I knew something was wrong right away, Papa never made a sound (except for her heavy snoring). Of course, it was a Sunday so I called our vet in. I relayed everything to Dr. Bradshaw - told him how she had stumbled, yelp and couldn't get up. I told Billy to say goodbye to her - that I thought she would pass on soon. He simply said, "if she does, that is one little dog I am going to miss." I don't know what got into Papa at the vet's office that day but she came out of the carrier exploring the office - she moved faster than I had ever seen her move and I was delighted thinking she was going to make a liar out of me. Papa didn't have any fever but Dr. Bradshaw had her stay over for testing. The only thing the test picked up was anemia. Dr. Bradshaw ordered blood for Papa but Memorial Day delayed the deliver by a day. Papa was staying at the clinic when she passed away peacefully at 5:30pm. Dr. Bradshaw said she just drifted off in her sleep.....I guess she drifted off to younger days - hopefully a better time. We brought Papa home and buried her in the cemetery. Billy picked fresh flowers for her grave - the first time I had seen him do that.....although a ceramic bunny mysteriously appeared on Mo's grave one day. He said, "I didn't want her to have nothing on her grave". It has been three months since Papa (who was really Mama) drifted across the rainbow bridge and she is still missed. I stopped by her yard last night and paused for a few minutes. I envisioned my little black Papa Bear fast asleep in her little house with a full belly and laying on a clean fresh blankie. Just as tears started to fill my eyes, I noticed my faithful yellow lab, Duke, waiting for me at the gate with his tail in full swing so I whispered "goodnight Papa" and headed back to the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment