Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Call That Went Unanswered (Almost)



I normally don't say no to seniors especially when a shelter manager asks me to take one. I know there is something special about the dog when a manager request comes in. This big gal is known as "T Girl". That is shortened for Tumor Girl. She is believed to be 10 years old. She came into the shelter with a big tumor on her neck. The shelter had it removed but they were told that it would grow back. T Girl was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The shelter manager was just looking for a place to let her live out her days. I told Lisa if she couldn't find another rescue we would answer the call and offer her a place to live out her days. Several weeks later Lisa called again with the same request. I kept thinking surely another rescue - a bigger rescue - with more sponsors, donors and resources will step up. They could promote her (which often goes by the way side here because we are too busy with intakes, transports, dirty lines, etc). A few weeks later, I received a third call from Lisa. She thanked me for considering T Girl and said they had decided to put her down because she was becoming depressed. I told Lisa, "if we are the best she is going to get, then so be it. I'll send a transport for her tomorrow." I said a prayer that we would be supplied with the means to keep her comfortable and meet any medical needs that she would have. The next day, T Girl boarded transport and every shelter worker in the place came outside to see her off. She was whisk away for a night's stay at Waggin Tails. Once T Girl arrived I could see right away why the plea had been brought to me three times - T Girl wasn't especially pretty, she was old, she was big and she was terminally ill - but the reason the plea had been repeated was because T Girl is all things good in a dog. A beautiful spirit. She serves as our meet and greet. Not a dog who has come through has ever disliked T Girl. She can settle the most jittery of canine nerves. T Girl's tumor has not grown back. When I talk to Lisa about other intakes I ask her "where is that terminally ill girl you were sending me?" or "are you sure the vet said she is sick?". Our vet has confirmed T Girl's test results but you know what - so far so good. T Girl has been here since early 2009, her energy is good, she is in no pain and she enjoys everyday of her life. She has out lived many of our seniors - Papa, Grace, Gordon and Opal. Every day that T Girl graces me with her kind and loving spirit is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment