Sunday, September 6, 2009

Trooper's Tribute


This little guy was so withered up - you could not look at him and say he looks like a "Roy" or a "Jackson"........naming him hasn't been hard though if I never know anything else about this boy, I know he is a Trooper. He has weathered the failure of his owner, the failure of all those who saw him as a stray and refused him aid and the failure of the shelter to give him life saving medical attention. It's hard to say sometimes why we get there too late. In Trooper's case, we got to him but not in time to save him. Perhaps saving him wasn't the point at all. On his last day, he was probably more loved and cared for than any other day in his life. He met kind person after kind person (and nobody turned him away) - each one loading him gently in their vehicle and transporting him to the next relay drop. On his last night, he slept on several blankets and had clean fresh water and a bowl of food there for the taking. On his last night, he wasn't afraid, abused, neglected or unloved. On his last night he seemed to know that many people had stepped up to help him. Why did he reach me on his last night. I think it was to know love - to take at least an ounce of love with him across the rainbow bridge. I hope Trooper is there at the bridge with the rest of my pack. I hope to see him again someday - healthy, happy and loved. If Trooper's fundraiser reaches it's goal - it will be used to help another dog in need - that is what I think Trooper would have wanted to do. He is being buried today in the Angel Paws Cemetery. I have seen Billy bury many rescues over the years. This year alone he had to bury Opal, Gordon, Grace and Papa. He dearly loved Papa but I have never seen a dog get to him like Trooper did. Trooper will rest next to Gordon now - he will never be abused, neglected or confined to a shelter again.

No comments:

Post a Comment