Monday, September 7, 2009

Saying Goodbye


Trooper is now buried at Angel Paws. I've got to say, it was heartbreaking to lay him to rest. I have buried many old dogs and many sick dogs but Trooper was a young dog - in the prime of his life and he had weathered so much abuse and neglect. His "sickness" could have easily been cured with inexpensive medicine but his cuts and scrapes were let go too long. It wasn't his time. If only we could have gotten him stabalized so he could have lived to have known love. Vanessa told me that when he had his head on her arm rest, he looked up at her and she knew he was saying "thank you". Billy mentioned today that he knew Trooper was happy to be here - that he must have been hanging on just long enough to leave the shelter alive - he said he could tell that Trooper knew we were trying to help him and he was thankful for our efforts. The death of Trooper is heartbreaking and unsettling to me. He has left a lasting impression - his paw print will forever be on my heart. Pitbulls are among those most at risk for abuse and neglect. I hear all too often even from my fellow rescuers "only the pits were left". I have seen all to often a shelter withold a shot because "it was just a pitbull" and probably would not have made it out anyway. Every dog deserves the best we have to offer with no prejudgements. I have seen dogs I thought were doomed make it out. I have seen dogs Ii thought would adopt out with no problem be euthanized. Trooper deserved medical treatment at the time he entered the shelter as all dogs do - including pitbulls. Rest in Heaven sweet forgiving Trooper - Bless Your Pittie Heart.

1 comment: